Mold and your Pets | Kalispell Mold

Mold and your Pets | Kalispell Mold

Mold is everywhere in Kalispell and Whitefish, and while there are a great number of accounts of an unsuspecting person getting sick due to mold, there aren’t many reports about pets getting sick. Why is that? Are your pets are immune to mold, or is it just because this issue hasn’t been brought out into the spotlight?

While some people believe that their pets are immune, the opposite is the case. In fact because pets tend to be much smaller, and their respiratory systems tend to be much more sensitive than people, they prove to be more susceptible to the effects of mold. Pets can be affected by both Outdoor as well as Indoor mold. But while there is little you can do to get rid of the mold outside of your house, Indoor mold is fairly easy to control if you have it cleaned up by a group of professionals.

Most of the signs that your pets are having difficulties with mold are shared with their owners. They often suffer from Runny noses, Sneezing, Ear infections, Scaly Patches, and Increased Anxiety when suffering from mold. These signs usually go unnoticed because owners misdiagnose this for allergies. While the medication for allergies may alleviate some of the symptoms, it isn’t a permanent solution.

To err on the side of caution, Purchasing Beds and Toys that can be washed in hot water are a plus. If they cannot be washed, it does best replace it after about a year to assure that mold and dust mites haven’t infested the beds and toys.

You should also regularly clean the air with a HEPA filter, as well as run a dehumidifier to prevent the growth of mold. Pet shampoos that combat allergies are also a good idea. While all of these things are very effective at keeping your pets safe in a clean environment, when there is mold present, the best thing you could do is to have it cleaned by a professional team. This will keep you and your pets from suffering, and can be a very cost effective, long-term investment in the overall health for all of the members of your home.

Leave a Reply